For access to J-2534 Information on the Volkswagen service information website:
- Click on "Vehicle Diagnostics" at top of page.
- Click on "Introduction Guide
- Follow all of the registration and installation steps for ODIS
For access to J-2534 Information on the Audi service information website:
- Run cursor over "Vehicle Diagnostics".
- Click on "Introduction Guide".
- Follow all the registration and installation steps for ODIS
VIDEO: Reflashing demo of a 2013 Passat (9 min)
“Pass thru” vehicle re-programming with SAE J2534 device
Pass Thru re-programming over the Internet for 2004 and later vehicles using an SAE J2534-1 Pass Thru device and a laptop PC with ODIS diagnostic and reprogramming software is available for certain applications. These are listed in specific technical bulletins. Since these are for specific concerns for specific models, all appropriate diagnostic procedures should be followed before attempting Pass Thru re-programming. Re-programming should only be performed if a technical bulletin provides direction to do so. This technique requires a secure uninterrupted Internet connection and a Pass Thru device that has been recommended for this application
System Requirements for performing update programming
- 14.0” LCD display in 16:9 format with HD resolution (1366 x 768)
- Latest generation high end dual core processor for notebooks Intel® Core i5 2520M (2.50 GHz)
- 4 GB DDR3 SD-RAM
- 320 GB SATA vibration-protected hard-drive
- SD XC card reader (reverse compatible to SD and SDHC)
- Impact resistant up to 2.5 feet (76 cm)
- Splash-protected keyboard and touchpad
- Up to 7 hours battery time
Notice: We recommend using Windows 7, 64 bit with Internet Explorer 11
Which Pass Thru appliances are currently recommended for update programming?
Notice: Currently Pass Thru re-programming using ODIS supports SAE J2534-1 version 4.04 only. Please make sure that you have installed the appropriate driver for your Pass Thru device. For details read the documentation shipped with your device or contact the manufacturer.
How high is the volume of data transmitted during update programming?
During update programming approx. 4MB are transmitted via the Internet connection. If you have a current version of ODIS, the correct Java runtime environment version will automatically be installed on your computer, the Java run time environment must be installed for update programming. The Java runtime environment is approx. 16MB in size. Local administrator rights are necessary for its installation on your laptop PC.
Why do I need a permanent Internet link for update programming?
In order to avoid errors occurring during the update programming process it is important to understand that once started, the process cannot be interrupted or disconnected and the PC must not be allowed to go into standby, hibernation or similar power management modes.
This process is expressly intended for qualified professional automobile technicians. It is possible to permanently damage a vehicle control module if the process is done incorrectly or the wrong software is installed. Be sure to read all service materials carefully and follow the directions exactly.